The Mission was founded by Jesuit Father Eusebio Francisco Kino before 1700, the present structure was built 1783 - 1797 by the Franciscans. The missionaries were forced to leave San Xavier in 1828, but returned in 1911, and since that time have maintained old San Xavier as the main church and school of the Tohono O'odham Indians. This Mission is called the "White Dove of the Desert." Impressive Spanish Mission Architecture. The interior murals and the altar are very beautiful. We didn't have our flash for the camera with us that day, sorry for the poor photos. Trip provided by our friends, Larry and Carol. We stopped at this mission on our way to Nogales, Mexico on Saturday, March 15, 2008.